The Saturday Morning Cartoon Show Blog

Welcome to the online home of 89.1 WIDR's Saturday Morning Cartoon Show, hosted by DJ Beta and DJ Muppet every Saturday from 9-11am.

Our podcasts contain the same cartoon episodes, theme music, rocked out covers, and in-show musical acts you've come to love on the air. The Saturday Morning Cartoon Show is definitely a part of this balanced breakfast.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Podcast for 03-22-08 - Space Ghost Coast To Coast

Good morning, true believers...I mean, gentle readers...er...well now, I wonder what I should call you. We haven't yet come up with a catch all phrase to describe our listeners, have we? We've bandied about Toonatics, but that seems not quite right. Oh well. Hey guys! :) We're knee deep in show and freezing our assorted extremities to the bone, but that has of course not stayed us from our appointed cartoon rounds. Ka-linkage!


Before you listen I would like to make a small disclaimer: I have a deep and long standing love for both The Ramones and David Byrne, so I am, for a portion of the program, rendered slightly loopy. They and the music they've made mean a great deal to me and I got a tad giddy. Please forgive the babbling.

Okay, so, Space Ghost Coast To Coast rules. Since it's formatted as a 15 minute show with commercials, it means that we can bring you six complete episodes. Here's the breakdown in order of appearance, both on TV and on today's show:

1) "Bobcat" - Bobcat Goldthwait & The Ramones
2) "Fire Drill" - David Byrne & Donny Osmond
3) "Art Show" - Laurie Anderson & Stomp
4) "Gallagher" - David Cross & Bob Odenkirk
5) "Rio Ghosto" - Ben Stiller, Kevin Smith, & Jim Jarmusch
6) "Sweet For Brak" - Tenacious D

It's hilarious, subversive, and embodies everything that makes good late night television. Does it remind anyone else of Steve Allen or Ernie Kovacs? It has that kind of flair. Well done, Williams Street nee Ghost Planet Industries.

Musically the show's a bit light today, but I think the Marky Ramone improv and Tenacious D jamming more than makes up for it. Keep an ear out for another bizarre celebrity cartoon theme. We'll be making up for that a bit with a musical nugget right here. A caller asked to hear that beloved tune by The Nightmare from Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas, "Riverbottom Nightmare Band," but since we played it last week I told him I'd put it here for him. So many people love this song, so it's fun to share. 

Enjoy!

- DJ Muppet

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Love getting the Blog Posts!

Back in the day, two and more years ago, I was involved in a few of the original SMCS with DJ Josh, The Stormchaser, and Dr. Staticoy. Now I'm in Alaska and I have been missing it lots. Glad to see the show is still going strong and that its repetiore is so much more expanded.

Don't stop posting even after the webcast gets going, k? the 4 hour time difference means I'd have to up at 4 am to tune in live.

Thanks a bunch!
Mark - formerly, The Jumper

DJ Muppet said...

Hey, Jumper. :) I remember you, we met last time you were in town and stopped by for Radio Free Kalamazoo.

I'm so glad you're enjoying the podcasts. No worries, we're going to keep them going indefinitely. The webcast is only good if you can listen live and I've had a lot of people, even locals, say that they just can't do nine am on a Saturday. I know the feeling. :p